X2Community Forums

Godaddy Host X2CRM installations

I am trying to install X2CRM on Godday Linux server with PHP 5.3 and i am not able to install.

Could some body help me out, I am getting the following error.

• The path defined in session.save_path is not writable. Uploading files via the media module will not work.

Many Thanks

Solved  for Godaddy

1.First need to create a dir call it  php_sessions and add .htaccess file with a entry  deny from all (This file should be in the php_sessions dir)

2 create another .htaccess file with entry RewriteBase / (this file should be in the root dir)

3. Create a PHP.in file in the root dir  should contain session.save_path = "/home/content/bla/bla/php_sessions"

4.Create a PHP5.in file in the root dir  should contain session.save_path = "/home/content/bla/bla/php_sessions"

Path can be found from Absolute Hosting Path which is located at main hosting details page.

This method worked for me.

Thanks Jake for your input, It help me find the solution.

• Like 1

Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner, I was out over the weekend with no internet access.

Glad to hear you found a fix that works, GoDaddy has been a bit troublesome with their hosting configuration issues so it's good to see this working.

Jake

• 4 months later...

Solved  for Godaddy

1.First need to create a dir call it  php_sessions and add .htaccess file with a entry  deny from all (This file should be in the php_sessions dir)

2 create another .htaccess file with entry RewriteBase / (this file should be in the root dir)

3. Create a PHP.in file in the root dir  should contain session.save_path = "/home/content/bla/bla/php_sessions"

4.Create a PHP5.in file in the root dir  should contain session.save_path = "/home/content/bla/bla/php_sessions"

Path can be found from Absolute Hosting Path which is located at main hosting details page.

This method worked for me.

Thanks Jake for your input, It help me find the solution.

I've tried this many times, but it still doesn't work. Is it because I installed it onto a subdomain/subdirectory? I made sure to append the directory to the path, as can be seen here: "/home/content/.../.../html/crm/php_sessions"

The ellipses are used instead of the real characters for security reasons.  

I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Guest x2demitri

Firstly, I'm not sure that the above instructions by kingshine were written 100% accurately. PHP configuration files typically have the extension ".ini", not ".in". See this page in GoDaddy's documentation for an authoritative answer on how to name your configuration file:

http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/8913/what-filename-does-my-php-initialization-file-phpini-need-to-use?locale=en

This might also be useful for troubleshooting and testing your configuration:

http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/5647/why-isnt-my-php-initialization-file-taking-effect

I would also like to stress this point (for the record): anyone implementing the above solution should NOT forget the .htaccess file, especially if the PHP session directory is set to anywhere within the document root on the server. Random HTTP clients should never have so much as a snowball's chance in hell of reading PHP sessions. If anyone can get to the session save path by going to "http://something.com/php_sessions", anyone could ostensibly just grab a session cache file and, from the data it contains, forge a cookie and masquerade as a logged-in user.

• Like 1

Firstly, I'm not sure that the above instructions by kingshine were written 100% accurately. PHP configuration files typically have the extension ".ini", not ".in". See this page in GoDaddy's documentation for an authoritative answer on how to name your configuration file:

http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/8913/what-filename-does-my-php-initialization-file-phpini-need-to-use?locale=en

This might also be useful for troubleshooting and testing your configuration:

http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/5647/why-isnt-my-php-initialization-file-taking-effect

I would also like to stress this point (for the record): anyone implementing the above solution should NOT forget the .htaccess file, especially if the PHP session directory is set to anywhere within the document root on the server. Random HTTP clients should never have so much as a snowball's chance in hell of reading PHP sessions. If anyone can get to the session save path by going to "http://something.com/php_sessions", anyone could ostensibly just grab a session cache file and, from the data it contains, forge a cookie and masquerade as a logged-in user.

This is all very good advice. Thank you. 

For some odd reason, the edits worked when I made them using Vim through SSH instead of sending the files over with FTP.  :)

Guest x2demitri

For some odd reason, the edits worked when I made them using Vim through SSH instead of sending the files over with FTP.  :)

That doesn't surprise me. FTP is a very old network protocol that is prone to idiosyncratic behavior, and users have reported problems with it before. I recommend SFTP wherever possible; it basically just piggybacks the file transfer over SSH, which is a far more robust, not to mention secure, protocol.