X2Community Forums

Hosting that works

Maybe another user can answer better than us, since they're the ones actually using shared hosting, but we don't really have a list of hosting providers we know works. I think if you poke around a bit on the forums you might find users mentioning what hosting they use, but that might take a while.

The only big one we've had complaints about not working is GoDaddy, but if Midphase fails too we'll keep that in mind for the future. 

Guest x2demitri

If you can find hosting companies that offer a free trial, I recommend taking it and uploading/running requirements.php on the server. If it doesn't pass to your satisfaction (some requirements are optional), you can cancel the trial or let it expire.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, We have this working on Godaddy shared hosting. Here is a sample of the exact .htaccess requirements. Copy and paste.
Just change /crmdirectoryname/ to the directory where x2engine community version is installed.

------------------------

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
# Tell PHP that the mod_rewrite module is ENABLED.
SetEnv HTTP_MOD_REWRITE 1

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /crmdirectoryname/
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /crmdirectoryname/index.php [L]

# special case for the favicon
RewriteRule favicon\.ico$ images/favicon.ico

# if a directory or a file exists, use it directly
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !favicon\.ico$|sitemap\.xml$|crossdomain\.xml$

</IfModule>
<Files email.php>
Order allow,deny
Deny from all
</Files>

-------------------------

Jako
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I posted before about switching to Westhost on shared server but it ended up being too slow so switch again a number of months back.

For a number of reasons I switched to A2hosting.com with managed VPS instead of shared.  

VPS costs way more but better speed is better.

Another client used shared site5 which was OK but slow at times due to being shared.

What is the speed like for linode?

Linode's by far one of the best VPS hosts on the market (in US anyways, I don't shop other markets).  I used them for years and years (recently moved to AWS for various expansion/automation reasons.  AWS is more expensive for less performance... but they are 2 different things).  I've not run x2 on linode, but I ran LOTs of drupal sites (which is pretty DB intensive) and it would fly.  X2 would run fine their.

They have very good support and easy daily backups of the whole server.  Its pretty easy to up ram/disk space if needed later on.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...