Photo

Failed to authenticate! Please check your credentials.

phpMailer staff response

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 threenine

threenine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:01 PM

Hi,

I have an interesting situation that has occurred literally over night which I am unable to resolve.  We regularly run Email campaigns using MailJet and MailGun via the connectors in X2CRM.   On monday we were able to send a campaign and it worked great.  The API Username nad Passowrd combination were left unchanged.  On Tuesday we went to send another campaign but were unable too.  The campaign would just pause during sending emails.

When we examined the mailjet connector credentials within the Manage Apps section, we noticed that Password credentials were empty.  We tried to add the missing password, and validate credentials,   however it kept returning the Failed to authenticate! Please check your credentials. 

We have attempted to send emails using the API credentials via the terminal and this works no problem.  

We have checked to ensure all Firewall ports etc have not changed , and all is in order.

We are at a loss to know what to do next.  We can't understand how it worked perfectly the day before, but failed the following day with no environment changes at all.   Could you provide us with any other pointers as to what we can check?

#2 threenine

threenine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:09 AM

We managed to over come this issue for a couple of days.

However it has now returned and we are still unable to find a solution. 

Has anyone experienced similar issues?

#3 X2Raymond

X2Raymond

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:43 PM

Based on your description of the issue and the fact that the behavior is changing without modifying the credentials, is sounds as if you may be being throttled, either by your ESP (Mailgun or Mailjet in this case) or by your ISP. If you're still using the default port of 587, then it is unlikely to be your ISP throttling the connection, as they usually apply this to port 25. What kind of email volume are your average campaigns? If you are sending a lot of email (50k/week according to Mailgun's email best practices here: https://documentatio...ractices.html),then you may be throttled as an anti-abuse mechanism. What about the IP address of your server, is this IP dedicated to your system, or is it shared with other tenants? If it is shared, you may want to explore moving the system to a dedicated IP address, as the other tenants of the IP address will impact your reputation. Mailgun's guide estimates that fewer than 5k emails per day should be okay for a shared host.

If you are already using a dedicated IP for your host and sending high volume campaigns, you'll need to split the work of your campaign sends across multiple ESPs, in your case cycling between Mailgun and Mailjet. You'll probably also want to use another provider entirely for your transactional emails so that you don't affect delivery of messages you might be expecting from the system.

#4 threenine

threenine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:21 PM

Raymond,

Thanks for getting back to me.  However, we did immediately check those condiftions,   We are only sending 600 emails in 200 email batches.

We have a dedicated IP on our server. 

We have tried to debug, stepping through however X2CRM just won't connect.   However, when I tried write my own email sender using the same credentials from the server I am able to connect and send the emails via MailJet. 

#5 X2Raymond

X2Raymond

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:49 PM

Ah yes, very interesting, you shouldn't be throttled for that kind of volume. What about testing the sends from your server, which method did you use to initiate the email send, SMTP or via API? The Mailgun and Mailjet connectors in X2CRM use the SMTP method, so you'd want to use the same in your testing to verify connectivity.

Also, regarding the password field and "Verify Credentials" button: the password field is cleared upon loading for security reasons, but the previous value will still be stored in the backend. When testing credentials with the Verify button, you'll want to first pre-populate the password field, as it is used directly for the test, not the stored password. What about the other credential settings? Were any changed from the default? Feel free to send me a screenshot in a PM if you'd like.

#6 threenine

threenine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:35 AM

We are getting this problem again. It's quite annoying and happens for no rhyme or reason.

Some background, we decided to leave this functionality mainly because we thought we wait to upgrade the X2CRM, thinking that the issue may be in the version we had.  We are now using 6.93.

But the problem has simply resurfaced.

In order to test this completely. What we did was export all our old data.  Then we completely uninstalled the application completely removing any old files etc.  We then installed the new version completely fresh on the server.

However, the same problem re-occurs.  

We configured MailGun, using both the API and SMTP settings.  We just couldn't get the API to verify.  However when we configured the SMTP it worked.  We were able to send a few email (5) then we left it for a couple of days and now it is unable to send any emails or even verfify once again.

#7 threenine

threenine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:23 AM

Just thought I would add.  That this situation seems to be intermittent.   Some days it works others it stops working, and I have checked the logs and generally there are no errors logged so it is difficult to actually work this out.

#8 threenine

threenine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:40 PM

We have managed to resolve this after quite some digging.

It turns out that the issue stemed from a security issue with CPANEL, in a specific version that they hosting company had installed.  Once the hosting company upgraded the version of CPANEL the issue went away.

#9 JacobD

JacobD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:20 AM

We have managed to resolve this after quite some digging.

It turns out that the issue stemed from a security issue with CPANEL, in a specific version that they hosting company had installed.  Once the hosting company upgraded the version of CPANEL the issue went away.

Do you know what version of cpanel was causing the issue and what version you have now? I am having the exact same issue as you described also hosting using cpanel.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: phpMailer, staff response

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users