#1 LRSpartan

LRSpartan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:36 AM

Hi,

Very basic and non-technical question. We are a Microsoft Exchange shop, for all the right and wrong reasons. Is it possible to sync X2 with Exchange. So if a user creates a calendar item on either system, it will then appear on the other? Same for email, if a user creates an email on either system will it appear on the other? Is this automatic or would I need to schedule a job to run to keep the two in sync?

Thanks,

John

#2 alt_f4

alt_f4

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:41 AM

We´ve got a self-written Outlook 2010 Plugin to attach the OL-Mails to X2 (and also to create the contacts, if not already present in X2). All done by API.

If you´re interested, send me a PM.

http://www.bilder-up...-1485344690.png

http://www.bilder-up...-1485344722.png

Regards!

#3 LRSpartan

LRSpartan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:16 AM

Thank you. I sent you a PM.

I would appreciate anyone's help with how best to connect X2 with Exchange. I assume I will have use Imap. We have our own Exchange server.

Thank you!

#4 LRSpartan

LRSpartan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:29 PM

Okay, I have been able to get Exchange to authenticate with the settings I have under manage apps only with security type set to none. For now, we will continue to test it with this off.

Now, on the actual email tab, I am getting the following. I even tried a new mailbox but still got this. Thanks for your help.

Failed to open IMAP connection. Please check your email configuration and ensure that your email credentials are valid. The error given was:
  • LOGIN failed.
  • Too many login failures

#5 X2Raymond

X2Raymond

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 898 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:01 AM

You were likely being throttled from multiple access attempts during your setup and testing. Now that the cooldown period should have elapsed, please retest your email inboxes module and let me know if you still encounter error trying to access.

#6 LRSpartan

LRSpartan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:10 PM

Hi...we are still getting the message. Both X2 and Exchange are run locally (in our LAN). We are just not sure where the error message is coming from. Exchange says it authenticates but when we go to email, we get that error message.

#7 X2Raymond

X2Raymond

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 898 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:02 AM

Interesting, are you able to send an email to a contact for example? If so, you may want to verify your IMAP settings (lower half of the credentials form). Can you confirm that the same email account isn't associated with another set of credentials or inbox? It it was and this other account had a misconfiguration, it may be getting in the way of your testing. You might also want to disable automated inbound and outbound logging, as this will keep trying to log into your account and can lead to such throttling if the credentials are not configured as expected by the email server.

#8 LRSpartan

LRSpartan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:55 AM

I will give that a try.

#9 LRSpartan

LRSpartan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:02 PM

This is the first email account that we are trying to setup on X2. Since we are trying to connect to Exchange server and there are no preconfigured apps, we decided to get Exchange working with the Thunderbird email client. If we can do that, then the connection information for X2 should be the same. This was performed on our LAN so no firewall issues. X2 is installed on our LAN as well.

We got Thunderbird to work with the following:

Inbound

IMAP Port: 993

Security: TLS

Authentication Method: normal password

User name: username

Imap Server: computer name

Outbound

SMTP Port: 465

Security: TLS

Authentication Method: OAuth2

User Name: domain\username

SMTP Server: computer name

For X2 we are not provided fields for authentication method. What method are you using? My Exchange server guys told me to ask you what do you need to get X2 connected to a mail server, and they will do their best to put the connections in place. Their preferences is that passwords not be sent in the clear.

BTW...the Exchange guys really like X2.

Thanks for your help,

John

#10 X2Raymond

X2Raymond

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 898 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:35 PM

Hi John,

Currently the authentication method is limited to normal password authentication, we do not yet have support for using OAuth to authenticate with your email server. What happens when you try to email a contact directly (without setting Security to "none"), will the email be sent? You may want to try toggling the security type to SSL and testing, it's possible Thunderbird has some handling under the hood for SSL/TLS selection.

Raymond

#11 LRSpartan

LRSpartan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:11 AM

Thanks for your response and I will let the Exchange guys know. I did try emailing from within a contact and received an error about STMP connect() failed. Once we make the changes, I will let you know what happens.

#12 LRSpartan

LRSpartan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

Are there any log files or logging that I can use or turn on to help us with this. I want to see if the request are being sent from X2 and also see what Exchange is saying. Thanks for all of your help with this!!!

#13 X2Raymond

X2Raymond

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 898 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

For logging during troubleshooting, we like using the AuxLib::debugLog() and AuxLib::debugLogR() helper methods to render information to the protected/runtime/debug.log. You'll want to set YII_DEBUG to true in your constants.php during testing, then disable it afterward for performance.

For debugging the IMAP connection, you'll want to look at protected/modules/emailInboxes/models/EmailInboxes.php in the open() method. To start, you'll probably want to remove the @ from imap_open to let the errors surface. I also saw this post from 5 years ago about a bug occurring on imap_open when the Exchange server announces GSSAPI support. It may be worth trying the option to disable it, please see this post for more details: https://php.net/manu...open.php#104701

For debugging the SMTP connection, you'll want to look in protected/components/behaviors/EmailDeliveryBehavior.php in deliverEmail(). You'll want to add debugging statements to inspect the error details in catch of the "if ($this->credentials)" block:

if ($this->credentials) {
            try {
                // ...
                $phpMail->smtpConnect ($smtpOptions);
            } catch (phpmailerException $e) {
                AuxLib::debugLogR($e);
                // ...
                $this->status['message'] = $phpMail->ErrorInfo." ".$e->getFile()." L".$e->getLine();
                return $this->status;
            }
        }

If you're interested in checking out the protocol interaction using a tool such as Wireshark, it will be easiest to test without SSL/TLS. Assuming you're using ports 25 and 143 for SMTP and IMAP respectively, you'll want to use a packet filter similar to:

tcp.dstport == 25 or tcp.dstport == 143

Then right-click on the interaction and select "Follow TCP Stream" to view the entire interaction.

Please let me know what you discover and we can explore further possibilities.

Raymond

#14 LRSpartan

LRSpartan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:16 PM

Thanks Raymond. I will start checking in to these!

#15 LRSpartan

LRSpartan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:36 AM

I thought I would provide a quick update for X2 and Exchange 210.

I can get X2 to authenticate to Exchange using basic authentication for domain user and domain admin roles. This means no security type selected in X2. While I can get authenticated, I am having trouble getting anything except a domain admin role account to send an actual email.

For IMAP, I am still having trouble. I tried Raymond's suggestion above but no luck yet, and I mean luck. I think I am editing the files he mentioned correctly, but I am just not sure.

"Failed to open IMAP connection. Please check your email configuration and ensure that your email credentials are valid. The error given was:

Login failed.

Too many login failures"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: staff response

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users