X2Community Forums

Error 503 - almost makes x2CRM unusable

We are consistantly getting ERROR 503 - it seems random though. It is reasonably constant with an update of some records.  However, I suspect it is to do with a whole lot of simultaneous Workflow processing on the record. We sometimes just hit the back button and try again and it may error again or it works (no rhyme or reason that is constant) - but this is not good as I think some parts of the workflow actually executed whilst some others may not have.

Any ideas where I can begin to look or what I need to do to resolve this error?

post-10520-0-22614700-1463091492_thumb.png

post-10520-0-22614700-1463091492_thumb.png

There are a number of reasons that your server may be returning 503s. Usually, getting a 503 is indicative of heavy load, DDoS attacks, etc, but if you don't expect heavy traffic on this server, then it is likely due to server configuration. What web and application server are you using to host the application, maybe Apache and fcgid or nginx and php-fpm? You'll likely want to tune your settings for minimum and maximum threads/processes, requests, etc., for both servers and ensure the settings are compatible. You might also want to check on the memory usage of the server, the application may be constrained if system memory is too low. The logs of both daemons may also contain some valuable information. Please let me know what you find and I may be able to suggest improvements.

Spoke with our Hosting provider VentraIP.  Apart from 2 other areas (which we ruled out) the had this to say:

An "Entry Process" is how many PHP scripts you have running at a single time. Our shared hosting has a limit of 20 PHP scripts at a single time.

Keep in mind an "Entry Process" only takes roughly a fraction of a second to complete, therefore most people get it confused with how many visitors they can have on their website. A 10 limit Entry Process doesn't mean only 20 people can be on your website at once because the likelihood of all 20 people hitting your website at the exact same second would never happen.

We've seen an entry limit of 20 usually handle 40-50 visitors on your website at a time. If you have a low traffic website but are constantly at 20 Entry Processes, it means something is wrong with your scripts and they are hanging around longer then they should.

Can you confirm the number of PHP Scripts running when X2Workflow events are triggered.  Am I right that each simultaneous path in an X2Workflow (e.g. each Trigger or even within a Triggered event the 'split path') equates to a single PHP script running?  I have a lot of these rules and depending on the status of the record, many of these are triggered.  If it is, I have to workout how to operate with a limit of 20. 

Thanks in anticipation of a quick reply.