X2Community Forums

Does upgrading lose data and customisations?

Hi,

Does upgrading to latest X2Crm version using built in automatic updater lose any data and customizations?

Is it advisable to upgrade with the host's software installer like softaculous or X2Crm's built in updater?

Please let me know the best way to backup in the event any data is lost during upgrade.

Also where I can find the release log for the latest version of X2CRM?

New here, sorry if this is repeated, please let me know where these questions have already been answered. Kind Regards.

Hi qwerty,

Does upgrading to latest X2Crm version using built in automatic updater lose any data and customizations?

Updating the app through the built-in updater should not wipe out your customizations or data. Your database is automatically migrated between versions by the updater, which accounts for most in-app customizations that you've made (e.g. custom fields, layout changes, preferences, records, users, etc.). Custom module files and records aren't touched by the update process, and there's actually a separate update tool for them on the "Convert Modules" admin page.

If you're referring to developer customizations, then please have a look at our wiki page about the customization framework, if you haven't already: http://wiki.x2engine.com/wiki/Customization_Framework. Only file customizations made in the /custom directory are safe from being overwritten on update. Database customizations are much trickier to maintain our customization framework currently doesn't support them.

Please let me know the best way to backup in the event any data is lost during upgrade.

Make a complete backup of your installation's files and database. The updater does have a database backup feature, which will allow you to perform a database backup before updating. For a file backup, it should suffice to simply copy and paste all of your installation's files.

Also where I can find the release log for the latest version of X2CRM?

https://github.com/X2Engine/CRM/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

Derek