Jump to content


Photo

Web Tracking and Campaing Activity integrity problem

web tracking campaing activity

  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 teledev

teledev

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:59 AM

I just thought I'd come back here and report that after a year of no luck we seem to have campaign tracking working finally!

 

What we did today had been tried before so I suspect a recent code change or something may have been a second factor in our sudden success, but today my boss tried removing extra parameters from the URLs that have the tracking key. For a long time, all our campaign URLs that had x2_key={trackingKey} in them also have had a few more parameters after x2_key that are used for Google Analytics. Simply removing those Analytics parameters today started the flow of campaign tracking info that we'd never had before.

 

Like I said it's not the first time we've tried without other params in the URL, so there must have been something else to it, but sharing this in case it helps someone else!



#22 eugeneb

eugeneb

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationCenturion, south Africa

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:22 AM

Hi,

 

I have been using the X2_key= process as the only way to ensure tracking. I would suggest just confirming the integrity of your findings on new users and new machines.

 

We have run out of testing machines and as the cookies linger, we have had scenarios where it looks like the tracking works without the embedded code, only to see that it still doesn't track on new machines and new users. Between cache and cookies it might seem it works without the embedded code.

 

Just a note FYI...:-)

 

Would be awesome if it does work without the manual embedded code.



#23 teledev

teledev

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:29 AM

I may not have been clear enough - we didn't remove x2_key={trackingKey}, it was the removal of other parameters in the url that seemed to fix the problem. These other parameters were nothing to do with X2, but were for Google Analytics. We continue to use x2_key={trackingKey} - but now it actually works!



#24 eugeneb

eugeneb

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationCenturion, south Africa

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:33 AM

Oooh cool.

 

Understand now. Glad it works.

 

:)



#25 that0n3guy

that0n3guy

    Advanced Member

  • Premium Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:36 AM

This sounds like a bug.  Sounds like the regex that the javascript is using to grab the x2_key is also grabing other query parameters.  I forgot that we changed how this regex works a long time ago on our system.  We submitted a patch to x2, but it was part of a bigger patch so they may not have noticed it (we commented it in the code).  

 

Its a smallish change to webTracker.php







Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: web tracking, campaing, activity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users